Saturday, November 6, 2010

Invest in MStar before IPO through Hotung Investment

Ok, now I would like to share a way to invest in MStar before its IPO through a SGX proxy, ie Hotung Investment.

Before I proceed, I would like to declare that I have invested in Hotung. And below is my opinion based on my understanding and certain assumption. Please make your own study before making any decision. Of course I welcome your questions or comment here.

Hotung has 2 key business groups, (1) venture capital investment, and (2) fund management. Now, Hotung owns about NT$668 million as valued end of 2009.

I would not go into the detail analysis of Hotung valuation analysis, rather I will use a quite conservative way to evaluate Hotung as an effective proxy of a high potential company, MStar.

If you look at the table below, Hotung today owns about USD$0.084 of cash, and USD$0.020 of MStar share. The USD$0.020 was the valuation end of Dec 2009. In other words, Hotung is worth $0.104 just based on cash and MStar shareholding. Well, you may ask, if MStar is not IPO yet, how sure are we on the MStar worth? My take is this:
a) the valuation is based on end 2009, and since then the semiconductor (in which MStar resides) has grown tremendously
b) Hotung knows that MStar is going to IPO this year, therefore the fair value estimate should not be too far off

The share price of Hotung as of last trading day 04/Nov/2010 was USD$0.105. Can you see the significance? It means that your investment in Hotung is fully accountable by just cash and MStar shareholding!

What makes it even more attrative is this:
1) Don't forget Hotung still has a fund management business
2) Hotung still has shareholding in more than 170 companies, estimate worth around USD$0.12. Assuming 50% of them fail, and the rest just retain their value without growth, they would still worht USD$0.06, thus bring the value of Hotung share to $0.165, more than 50% growth from current price.



No comments:

Post a Comment